Friday, January 3, 2014

Pierre McGuire: The Art of Bad Reporting

As those of you who follow me on Twitter know I am usually the first person to stand up and defend Pierre McGuire. That will not be the case here. Also, this is going to tend to be more of a rant than the usual educated discussion or explanation.
I know to some people getting a Linesman's name correct is no big deal. Hell, I could probably forgive it if it happened just the one time and if there were no anecdote about how he knew the incorrect Liney since he was a kid. The problem is that it took place 4 different times throughout the game.
So let's start from the top. 2014 Winter Classic officiated by Dan O'Halloran, Brian Pochmara, Scott Driscoll, and Mark Shewchyk. Within the opening minutes of a very cold game there is an offside call to be made. It is made correctly by Mark Shewchyk who's whistle fails him due to the very cold weather. He promptly turns to a back up and problem solved. This is where Pierre comes in. In his reporting as to what had happened he refers to Mr. Shewchyk as Scott Cherrey. Ok, so maybe its a mistake, but Pierre goes on to tell this story of how he has known Mr. Cherrey since he was playing Juniors in North Bay, Ontario. If you have known someone for what is now 20 years since Mr. Cherrey played in North Bay, wouldn't you at least know what the man looks like? Better yet if you worked in a profession that you cover on a daily basis wouldn't you know his number? These guys look nothing alike!!! Now I know I'm a nerd when it comes to Officials. I can tell you each NHL guy by his number. Hell, I can pick out some guys by skating style or body type. It's a gift. I know this isn't something everyone can do. I don't expect that, but if you are a professional "Between the Glass" reporter I expect you to know the Officials on the ice. Not out of memory even. Pierre has access to the Game Notes before every game. As a professional he should be reading these. I wouldn't be so upset by this if it had happened just the one time, but he continued to do it throughout the game.
I don't know this for a fact, but I'd have to say that this was the biggest game of Mr. Shewchyk's life. For him to be continuously called by someone else's name is a slap in the face and frankly, embarrassing. Now wait, I'm not saying anything against Mr.Cherrey, he is one of my absolute favorites and best in the game. What I am saying is Mr. Shewchyk didn't work his entire life to get to the most viewed hockey game of all time to be called by someone else's name. It was a shame and disgraceful and Mr. Shewchyk deserves a public apology from Pierre McGuire. All I Can say is I'm glad Mr. Shewchyk is Canadian. Maybe his family didn't have to see or hear this blatant disrespect.   

No comments:

Post a Comment